But how did the Magi know this? Greek word “Magi” has been mis-translated into “kings” or “wise men”; it is actually where we get the English words “magic” and “magician”. Further, the Magi are said to have been travelling to see Christ from “the east,” a region of the world known at the time for its great knowledge of natural remedies. So what did these revered men from the east know about gold, frankincense, and myrrh that the rest of us might not? We now know that at least two of the three gifts of the Magi - frankincense and myrrh - possessed incredible medicinal powers. What’s more, many argue that the third gift of gold could actually have been the “golden spice” of turmeric, which has its own set of amazing benefits.
- promotes cellular health and regeneration
- balances mood
- a great addition to oral hygiene regimen
- reduces the appearance of skin blemishes such as stretch marks & acne scars; witnessed in clinical studies to potentially reverse effects of ageing on the skin
- helps with chronic stress and anxiety promoting feelings of calm and improves sleep quality
- can relieve muscle and joint pain, as well as more chronic conditions like rheumatoid arthritis and inflammation
- studies have repeatedly shown that frankincense oil is a powerful immune system booster, helping to protect against harmful bacteria and viruses
- for memory/concentration: the part of the brain for interpreting aromas is closely tied to the part responsible for long-term memory and emotions. Studies have demonstrated essential oil aromas e.g. especially rosemary, peppermint and frankincense help enhance memory and alertness, very useful at exam-time!
- gas, constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, cramps, and other forms of gastrointestinal discomfort
- helps speed up the digestion of food for those with sluggish digestive tracts
- taken orally (certified pure therapeutic grade oils only) or by diffuser can help alleviate coughing, phlegm, and other symptoms of respiratory conditions
- great to use in meditation; there has been a spiritual element to it over many years through religion, meditation and ceremonies
- frankincense oil has been shown to help balance hormone levels and prevent the excess buildup of oestrogen that can lead to disastrous health outcomes
- has been shown to treat multiple forms of cancer, including ovarian, breast, and skin cancers. Studies have shown that one particularly component effectively combats cancer cells preventing them from spreading and metastasising. This includes cancer cells that have developed resistance to conventional cancer treatments like chemotherapy
Emotionally: can help with feelings of abandonment, spiritually disconnected, distant from father, unprotected, spiritual darkness, helping one to feel enlightened, loved, protected, wisdom, discernment, spiritually open, connection with father.
Frankincense is a powerful cleanser of spiritual darkness and invites the user to let go of lower vibrations, such as lies, deceptions and negativity, in turn helping to create new perspectives based on light and truth. It recalls to memory spiritual understanding, gifts, wisdom and knowledge that the soul brought into the world. In assisting to clear the eyes, mind and heart and connecting the soul with its inner light, this oil reveals the truth.
Frankincense supports creating a healthy attachment to one’s father and helps to feel the fatherly love of the Divine. For those who have experienced abandonment Frankincense reminds them they are loved and protected. It’s a very gentle oil as well as powerful, like a father nurturing, guiding and protecting. Used during prayer and meditation this oil opens spiritual channels that allows a connection to the Divine.
Blends well with:
Basil, bergamot, black pepper, geranium, jasmine, lavender, lemon, myrrh, neroli, orange, patchouli, pine, rose, rosewood, sandalwood, vetiver, ylang ylang.
Ways to use doTERRA's Frankincense
- Diffuse a few drops, or apply to the palms of hands and deeply inhale; the woody aroma brings a feeling of relaxation and peace
- Direct application to any skin irritation, or to reflex points (a dilution of one-to-one can be used if concerned about skin sensitivity)
- Internally: take 1 or 2 drops in a veggie capsule to support cellular health, or add 1 or 2 drops under the tongue
- Add one drop to your normal moisturiser to give the skin a boost
- Add one drop to your toothbrush/toothpaste for oral hygiene
- for migraines: add one drop to your finger and touch the roof of your mouth, add a drop of Deep Blue (Soothing blend) to the base of your skull, drink water and lie down - amazing!
My Frankincense Experience
I used doTERRA's frankincense as part of my self-help treatment for fibroids and endometriosis; with uterine properties it is a known essential oil for supporting the womb (particularly with fibroids) along with helping reduce inflammation that goes with both conditions. I used the oils internally with veggie capsules filled with essential oils as well as massaging them over my abdomen daily and applying them to reflex points on my feet. Had I met doTERRA's oils sooner I believe I could have avoided surgery due to their certified pure therapeutic grade-ing; however, I was too far gone with dis-ease and required major surgery with end-stage endometriosis and a 20 week sized womb which reached up to my belly button! (I did look pregnant!) After years of coping and managing I decided to go for the recommended total hysterectomy and ended up with a bowel resection too.
One of my many victories experienced through this health journey was my consultant expressing total surprise (and excitement) to my parents as they waited for me to return from surgery. When I was "opened up" he had to check he had the correct notes and that the patient and notes matched up, my insides had changed so much and whilst it was still a long and complicated surgery requiring two surgeons, it was so much better than predicted. Whilst I know my essential oil protocols and supplements played a massive part in the changes I had also been having weekly Bowen therapy to prepare me for the operation, as well as lots of talking and mental preparation. Once I was home after 3 days I was applying neat frankincense (along with helichyrsum, geranium, lavender also good for wound healing, nerve repair) on my scar as well as on the whole of my abdomen where there was obviously bruising. My consultant was quite surprised at the speed of my recovery not only from how soon I left the hospital but also how well I healed without getting any infection which was kind of expected post-surgery. I was incredibly protected and breezed through the whole experience and I really can't tell you how terrified and resistant I'd been. So I'm eternally grateful to these oils and what they've done for my life. Nature is truly wonderful with what it provides.
Today, I still love my frankincense very much and sometimes add a drop to my toothbrush/toothpaste when I brush my teeth and most nights take a drop under my tongue before going to sleep. My thinking is prevention is better than cure and there's always something frankincense can be working on because it's such a versatile oil.