Bergamot is traditionally used for lifting mood with a fresh scent it has a balancing effect on the mind and calms stress and anxiety.
- Grapefruit is uplifting and energising oil so it’s great for tiredness and motivation, well-known for its natural anti-depressive properties.
- Lemon and Lime are known to rejuvenate and energise, perfect for putting some zest back you’re your life during cold winter months.
- Wild Orange is perfect during the winter when sunshine may seem far away; another uplifting oil that makes it useful throughout the day, known to be good for depression and anxiety.
How to Use
- Add 2-4 drops to your diffuser – single oil or combination of oils, they cover a large area and be set to run for several hours.
- Inhale directly from the bottle, or apply one drop neat to hands (dōTERRA oil) or on a tissue and inhale.
- Dilute 1-2 drops in ½ tsp of carrier oil and apply to temples or forehead
- Apply 1 drop to pulse points, occipital point on base of the skull and brain reflexology points on the soles of the feet (applies to dōTERRA oils)
- Add 5-10 drops to 1 tbsp carrier oil and use as massage oil
- Add up to 6 drops to your bath – a single oil or combination of oils. If you have sensitive skin, blend the oils in dispersing bath oil or use a small amount of full fat milk added to your bath water.
- Internal use (some dōTERRA oils) - add to drinks, food or veggie capsules or apply sublingually
- Get an aromatherapy massage from a qualified Aromatherapist (like me!) The aromas can alleviate feelings of depression and the comfort of touch evokes reassurance. Your Aromatherapist will recommend the best oils for you.
Lastly I just want to mention about one more oil which isn't an essential oil, and that’s Omega 3. It's good for mental health and is taken as a supplement. There is a lot of research to show that omega-3's improve mood and restore structural integrity to brain cells that are critical in performing cognitive functions, including helping with dementia.
Now, go and have a play with some essential oils and see which ones lift your spirits, or give me a call and book yourself an aromatherapy treat and I can introduce you to some :)
**** WARNING*** Avoid going out in direct sunlight when using citrus oils as they’re photosensitive. You’ll be fine to apply to the body under clothing, just not on your face, hands or any uncovered skin. Also it's recommended not to use citrus oils in the bath if you have sensitive skin as they could irritate.... having said this, I believe doTERRA oils would be ok to do this with.