The essential oil of Citrus Limon is extracted through cold press of the peel of the fruit. Lemon is easily recognised by its fresh, sharp, sweet citrus smell and often chosen as the fragrance used in household cleaning products, it is well known for its cleansing properties, not just on household surfaces but us too, inside and out. If you could only have one oil, this would be the one; it is inexpensive yet can do so much.
History: Although a symbol of the Mediterranean their origins are of the Far East (China and India) with Arabs bringing lemons to Sicily in the year 1000, the first real cultivation of lemons was planted in Genoa in the middle of the 15th century. Their therapeutic value was recorded by Nicholas Lemery in his book on simple drugs in 1698 where he mentioned lemons as digestives, useful for blood cleansing, and as helping sweeten the breath after a heavy meal. Lemons reached the height of their fame when they were issued to counteract the effects of scurvy in the British Navy.
Source: doTERRA’s lemon essential oil comes from Sicily.
Properties: anti-anaemic, antimicrobial, antirheumatic, antisclerotic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, astringent, bactericidal, carminative, cicatrisant, depurative, diaphoretic, diuretic, febrifuge, haemostatic, hypotensive, insecticidal, rubifacient, tonic, vermifuge.
Therapeutic Uses & Benefits
Mentally – refreshing and cooling when feeling hot and bothered. Research in Japan has found that lemon improves one’s ability to concentrate. In one study it was found to reduce typing errors by 54%, when the essential oil was vaporised in the air – good for the workplace then! Great for mental fatigue, useful for stimulating and clearing the mind and aiding the decision making process. It particularly helps with learning disorders, clearing self-judgments about learning, calming fears and insecurities while restoring confidence in the Self.
Body – Lemon oil is highly prized for its high antibacterial properties. Dr Jean Valnet cites research which shows that the essential oil will kill Diphtheria bacilli in 20 minutes at a low dilution of 0.2%. Lemon oil is able to stimulate the action of the white blood corpuscles, the body’s own defence. Lemon oil is also haemostatic.
It improves the functioning of the digestive system, counteracts acidity in the body and makes the stomach more alkaline. Other problems arising from too much acidity in the body give rise to painful symptoms, including rheumatism, gout and arthritis. Whenever the body does not rid itself effectively of uric acid, this forms crystals which cause pain and inflammation of the joints.
Lemon oil can be used in cases of toxaemia, such as rheumatism, arthritis, gout, high blood fat and cholesterol, general obesity, cellulite and abscesses, boils and carbuncles.
Lemon has a tonic effect on the circulatory system and is useful in treating varicose veins. It is helpful in cases of high blood pressure and can be used in preventative regimes against arteriosclerosis.
Skin and hair – as an astringent it has an effective cleansing effect on greasy skin. At the same time its antiseptic properties make it useful for treating cuts and boils.
Emotional Uses: Lemon inspires a natural playfulness, assisting in balancing feelings of depression with joy and happiness. It inspires joyful involvement in the present moment by infusing the soul with energy, confidence and alertness.
Blends well with: Bergamot, eucalyptus, fennel, frankincense, ginger, juniper, lavender, neroli, rose, rosemary, sandalwood, ylang-ylang to name but a few!
Precautions: can be phototoxic – avoid using on skin and then exposing to the sun.
Ways to use doTERRA’s Lemon Essential Oil
- Diffuse three to four drops to create an uplifting environment and eradicate undesirable smells
- For internal use dilute one drop in 4 fl. oz. of liquid, delicious in water!
- Add Lemon oil to a spray bottle of water to clean tables, countertops, and other surfaces. Lemon oil also makes a great furniture polish; simply add a few drops to olive oil to clean, protect, and shine wood finishes
- Use a cloth soaked in Lemon oil to preserve and protect your leather furniture and other leather surfaces or garments
- Lemon oil is a great remedy for the early stages of tarnish on silver and other metals
- Remove ‘sticky stuff’ such as chewing gum, sticker residue and permanent marker with this oil
- In cooking enhance flavour by adding a drop of Lemon essential oil anytime when you are cooking with lemon juice (such as salmon, lemon meringue pie, lemon zest)
- Pick-Me-Up. When you lack motivation or energy, try rubbing a drop of Lemon on your hands and inhale, or even through your hair. You’ll be amazed at the power of the Lemony aroma!
- Smell Lemons, Not Chemicals. Add a couple drops of Lemon essential oil to your dishwater. Adding Lemon will make it a better experience for you while taking advantage of the cleaning qualities in Lemon essential oil!
- Diffuse with Peppermint during homework or concentration time to help stay awake and focused
- ‘Lemonise’ Your Laundry. Instead of dryer sheets, try adding a few drops to a damp wash cloth in the dryer with the rest of your laundry. Be sure to set the dryer to a low temperature cycle as high heat will lessen the effects of the oil
Would you like to receive a sample of doTERRA’s Lemon Essential Oil? Please get in touch, I’d love to send you some!