Three essential oils derive from the bitter orange tree: Petitgrain is steam distilled from the leaves and twigs of the tree, Neroli is distilled from the blossoms, and Bitter Orange oil is produced by cold pressing the rinds of the fruits. Petitgrain has a fresh floral citrus scent with a woody herbaceous undertone that is popular with men as well as women, and is widely used in the perfumery industry. It’s Latin name is Citrus Aurantium.
History: The name “Petitgrain” is French for “little grains.” It was given this name because it was originally distilled from the unripe fruit of the bitter orange tree which is about the size of a cherry, rather than the leaves. It has been one of the classic ingredients of Eau de Cologne since the early 18th century.
Source: doTERRA’s petitgrain essential oil comes from Paraguay
Properties: Anti-depressant, antispasmodic, deodorant, sedative
Therapeutic Uses & Benefits
Body – Petitgrain has a sedative effect on the nervous system; its relaxing properties are useful for the treatment of rapid heartbeat or insomnia, controlling anger, lessens fear, nervous exhaustion, relaxes muscular spasms, calms stressed muscles, & reduces menstrual pain. It also has deodorising properties.
Skin & Hair – has a tonic effect on the skin and helpful for clearing up skin blemishes and pimples.
Mentally & Emotionally – calms anger and panic. It is uplifting and refreshing, similar to neroli, which is considered more effective with serious depression. As a nervous stimulant and nerve tonic, this remedial oil aids in treating nervous issues, & wear and tear of nerves due to prolonged stress.
Around the home – as a natural homemade surface cleaner (in the same way as lemon).
Blends well with: Bergamot, cassia, cedarwood, cinnamon, clary sage, eucalyptus, geranium, lavender, lemongrass, lime, jasmine, neroli, orange, palmarosa, rosemary, rosewood, sandalwood, ylang-ylang
Ways to use doTERRA’s Petitgrain Essential Oil
- When you want a relaxing foot massage, dilute a few drops of Petitgrain oil with fractionated coconut oil before rubbing the combination on the bottoms of the feet.
- Perfect massage blend, add 2 drops of Petitgrain oil with warm carrier oil to alleviate stress, calm the body and alleviate pain.
- Adding 3 to 4 drops of Petitgrain essential oil in warm bathing water helps you vent out stress, tension, fear, anxiety, anger, pain, irritability and other negative feelings.
- It is also used as a skin tonic, and helpful for clearing spots & pimples.
- Before going to bed, add a few drops of Petitgrain along with Lavender or Bergamot to a cotton ball and put it in your pillowcase or diffuse for their calming and relaxing aroma.
- Internally (doTERRA’s essential oil only) Take 2 drops in water to help ease feelings of tension, help calm the nervous system, and promote restful sleep. Take 1–2 drops in a veggie cap for a dietary supplement.