Orange is a zesty, refreshing citrus fragrance. The essential oil of the fruit is cold-pressed from the outer peel and its cheerful, sensuous and radiant nature conveys warmth and happiness. It assists people to relax and unwind and children love its smell which can actually help them sleep. The orange tree is native to China and India and was brought to Europe for cultivation in the seventeenth century, and is now grown in the Mediterranean region, Israel and the Americas.
History: Orange was first brought to Europe by the Arabs, probably in the first century. It’s a very nutritious fruit, containing vitamins A, B and C. In Chinese medicine the dried sweet orange peel is used to treat coughs, colds and anorexia.
Therapeutic Uses & Benefits: Anti-depressant, antiseptic, antispasmodic, carminative (relieves intestinal gas, pain & distension), cholagogue (increases flow of bile), digestive, febrifuge (reduces fever), sedative, stimulant (digestive and lymphatic), tonic.
- Recommended for the treatment of constipation and is helpful for treating chronic diarrhoea
- Stimulates lymph which helps treat swollen tissue
- Stimulates the gall bladder
- Beneficial and soothing to dry, irritated, or acne-prone skin conditions
- fosters creativity and inspires limitless solutions for problems and issues; there is no need to fear. It supports a positive mood, restores physical energy and aids in transitions. It also reconnects with our inner child bringing spontaneity, fun, joy and play into our lives and invites us to let go as a child does and live from our authentic Selves. In our authenticity, we are abundant.
- encourages letting go of scarcity mindsets and their manifestations such as fear, nervousness, inflexibility, workaholism, lack of humour and the belief that there “is not enough”
- inspires abundance and reminds the soul of the limitless supply found in nature. Fruit trees like orange, give freely to all in need and Wild Orange teaches us to give without thought of compensation.
Blends well with: Bergamot, cinnamon, clary sage, clove, cypress, frankincense, geranium, jasmine, juniper, lavender, neroli, nutmeg, petitgrain, rose, rosewood, sandalwood, tangerine, ylang-ylang
Ways to Use (Aromatically/*topically/*internally
- Use in an all-purpose spray to cleanse and purify surfaces
- Add a drop to your water every day for a burst of flavour and to promote overall health
- Diffuse to uplift mood and energy levels and to freshen the air
- Energize the mind and body. Dispense one to two drops in the palm of your hand along with equal parts Peppermint and Frankincense. Rub palms together and inhale deeply from palms, then rub on the back of neck
- Use topically over the solar plexus and lower abdomen each day, or before situations that cause self-doubt
- Add a drop to a shirt collar, rub through the hair, or inhale from cupped hands in times of fear, doubt, or anxiety
* Only use therapeutic grade oils neat on the skin and internally if safe to do so such as with doTERRA’s essential oils where labelled.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Orange essential oil can be photosensitive so avoid direct sunlight if applied to the skin (covered or under clothing is fine).
Refreshing Lip Balm: Heat 2 Tbsp of oil with 1 Tbsp beeswax until combined then stir in 10 drops Peppermint and 10 drops Wild Orange essential oil. Use once cool and firm.
Invigorating Body Scrub: Mix together 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil, 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar, 15 drops Wild Orange essential oil, 3 drops Cinnamon essential oil. Store in an air tight glass container.
Joyful Diffuser Blend: 2 drops Bergamot, 2 drops Grapefruit, and 1 drop Wild Orange.